Sunday, April 4, 2010

Alice In Wonderland Review



<br />





After weeks and weeks, I finally went out and saw a movie...in the theaters. I truly wanted to see Alice In Wonderland and I talked my friend into seeing it with me on Friday. I mostly wanted to see it because Tim Burton directed it and Johnny Depp and Michael Sheen were in there, but I also wanted to see how they turned a classic cartoon story into a kind of human version.



Of course, I loved the movie because of amazing special effects and the fact Tim Burton directed it and I love his movies. The first part seemed to drag a little bit because they show Alice's father talking about an impossible idea and throughout the whole movie, you never find out what that idea was. The ending seemed to do the same, Alice clearly says she will be back before you know it but yet the last scene shows her on a ship sailing to China to promote whatever the idea her father had to the Chinese. I'm left wondering if she ever truly does go back, yes, you can remember something like Wonderland but to actually go back makes it even more significant.

I did, however, love the plot of the story, it wasn't very clear though. I think it was mostly about how the White Queen had her thrown stolen from her older sister, the Red Queen. She wanted it back but the only way the crown could come back to her was when she found her champion (Alice) and fight the Red Queen's champion (the Jabowoki, don't know if I spelled it right). I guess I understood because the Red Queen was making Wonderland miserable but it didn't truly seem to draw me in. I didn't understand most of it.




Mia Wasikowska was absolutely amazing in this movie. She has only been in acting since 2004 and this has made her career. I've never seen her acting before but she an amazing job with Alice. I was counting on her to be a great Alice and she had done that and beyond. She was shy when she needed to be but was also on two sides: brave and strong or cautious and unsure. She always had a quiet voice in the movie which was good because it seems she was shocked that there were people just as or more mad than she was. She was good with seeing everything being a dream and finally seeing that this is a real world and she was actually in it. Mia did an amazing job and I can see her doing even better in her upcoming movies, Restless and Jane Eyre.




I'm a HUGE fan of Johnny Depp and so I have to do a review on his performance. Of course, as always, he did an amazing job with playing the Mad Hatter. I loved when he started doing the Scottish accent, it would scare the crap out of you but also make ou worried for him. He was amazing when he had to be mad and when he tried to be light and uppity. He did his taglines and jokes very amazingly, like when he kept asking Alice, "Have you any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?" He does a great job during the whole movie, good job, Johnny!






As for the rest of the actors, they did a gret job. I hated and loved the right people and they showed their personalities and why they look the way they do clearly. The characters made me laugh and cry the whole movie. I didn't think I would cry but the dog who wanted his family to be free and then they were, that made me all choked up. :)



I give the whole movie a four out of four because even though the plot line wasn't completely clear, I was very impressed and I did prefer this version to the old one. Tim Burton's touch made it much more "mad" if I do say so myself.











Reference: http://blacknailedreviews.blogspot.com/2010/04/alice-in-wonderland-review.html

No comments:

Post a Comment