Friday, April 23, 2010

Alice in Wonderland Party



<br />



Last week Jonathan took me to see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (2010 film). (If you want to see my review of it, just follow the link.)



I guess in conjunction with this new film, Disney re-released their cartoon classic of the same title. Being that my husband (and, of course, my children!) had never seen this movie, I secretly snagged a copy and we had ourselves an "Alice in Wonderland party" wherein I could introduce my family to a movie that I loved growing up and we could have a fun time together while enjoying it!





I set the table while the kids were down for their nap so that they wouldn't see what I had planned for the evening. I picked up these "card plates" (see below) at Goodwill over a year ago. I think I paid $4 for 8 of them. Goodwill, btw, is one of my favorite places to snag things. I've decorated almost our entire house at Goodwill and I've picked up a lot of dinnerware there that is just a little bit unusual and is fun to look at. These plates were one of my early finds.



The cups were a Christmas gift from my mom and we've, sadly, not made very much use out of them. Being designed specifically for ice cream treats, I haven't WANTED to make a whole lot of use of them, if you know what I mean, but I thought pulling them out and serving our drinks in them would be a fun treat. I was right!



I pulled out everything red that I could find that had hearts on it to represent the Red Queen, of course!

My family LOVES pancakes and I seldom make them. It's a treat when I do, so guess what we had for dinner at our Alice in Wonderland party? I experimented with a new cinnamon banana pancake recipe too which was fabulous! Yum!



Did I already say that these pancakes were delicious? Ok, just checking....



A fun treat and addition to a meal with kids is sparkling water. We just welcomed a Trader Joe's to our town and I've been enjoying trying out their various treats. We picked up a bottle of their sparkling mineral water for $0.89. It added some flair to the meal.



But the best treat of all (food-wise I mean) was our splurge for Oreo ice cream cookies from Cold Stone Creamery. OH MY!



We had a GREAT time enjoying dinner and then watching the movie. It was a fun way to spend the evening as a family as we were doing things that were special and unusual for us. Decorating the table was a great touch and just made the evening feel like a party, which was, in fact, what we called it.



Family parties, I've decided ought to be the norm and not the exception. I have a feeling we'll be doing this again. Stay tuned!





Reference: http://offeringhospitality.blogspot.com/2010/04/alice-in-wonderland-party.html

No comments:

Post a Comment